[cdt-l] Anaconda cut off question

For the cutoff, Ginny has described it well. The Twin Lake fire was located
on the ridge between the Twin Lakes drainage and the Storm Lake drainage.
It was relatively small (reports were 100 to 150 acres) so it will not
effect your hike. The trail from Twin Lakes to Storm Lake is nice. Seems
like some people head directly to Hwy 1 from Storm Lake (saves a mile or
two, but means and extra 2.5 miles along Highway 1).

CDT Status around Butte from Champion Pass to Hwy 274:

Most of the proposed new trail construction around Butte is still
incomplete. The Forest Service has  proposals for 54 miles of new CDT trail
construction over the next 5 years. Proposed construction from south of
Four Corners to Lowland Campground is scheduled in 2006. (There is a route
that avoids some logging roads and stays closer to the Divide.) From
Champion Pass to Homestake Pass it is about 45 miles.

The new Homestake to Pipestone Pass segment is flagged and can be followed.
There is very little deadfall and if one follows existing trails at the
north end, a couple of areas of dense lodgepole can be avoided. The
highlight of this section is the high point northeast of Pipestone Pass
with the first good views into the Highlands, plus distant views of the
Pintlers and the Tobacco Root Mountains. This segment was suppose to be
constructed this past summer, hopefully next summer construction will
begin. It is listed as 8 miles and there already is a good trail along the
Divide for the last two miles southwest to Pipestone Pass.

The Pipestone Pass to Limekiln segment was completed last fall. 4
miles.  Great views into the Highlands from Limekiln. From Limekiln to the
Highlands (Crest) Trailhead one can follow the flagged route or existing
jeep roads. Total is about 10 miles. There is new trail planned in Burton
Park for 2005 and 2008. From Homestake Pass (I90) to I15 is currently about
30 miles.

There are some proposed changes along the next segment from near the head
of Jerry Creek to Hwy. 274, though the current route has several advantages
(shorter and more water). Some highlights include nice views of Mt.
Fleecer, the possibility running into a large elk herd, the Hungry Hill
area is scenic and interesting, and I thought the hike out of American
Creek toward the looming Anaconda Range was very memorable. Distance from
I15 to Hwy 274 is about 27 miles.

Its 23 miles from the highway to Goat Flats along the current CDT route,
though more scenic routes are possible.

Total mileage is about 125 miles (as Ginny mentioned 75 miles longer than
the cutoff). If you head into Butte and are concerned about the hitch back
to the trail, contact me and I'll be glad to give you a ride.

Jeff