[cdt-l] Anaconda cut off question

When you look at the forest map, the route is pretty obvious.  My prehike
notes: "From Twin Lakes descend on trails to Twin Lakes Creek Rd 171. (Lots
of logging so it may be obscure.) Walk paved road from Spring Hill on
Highway 1 to Anaconda.   Then follow Higway 48 to Warm Springs (bar and tiny
store). Follow frontage road 003 paralleling I-90. Head up dirt road. Go
cross country at Dry Cottownwood Creek to another dirt road. Ascend east on
FR 941 to Champion Pass.  Approximate mileages: Goat Flats to Twin Lakes
7.2, Twin Lakes to Higway 13.2.  Highway to Anaconda 10.4. Andacondat to
Warm Springs 10.  Warm Springs to Champion Pass 13.6."  I think the area
around Twin Lakes was burned this summer, which is too bad as it was really
beautiful.  There was some private property near Champion Pass that could be
a problem to cross.

The cut-off isn't better, it is just shorter in an area where the CDT mostly
follows jeep roads around Butte that can be quite busy in the summer.  The
cut-off has about 20 miles of paved road walking (through town and out to
Warm Springs) and another 30 miles or so of dirt roads.  Basically it runs
from Champion Pass to Twin Lakes to Goat Flat, where it rejoins the CDT.
The official route is about 75 miles longer and requires long hitches to
town instead of just walking through Anaconda.  At the time we hiked,
everyone mentioned that the official route was obscure and hard to find and
the planned relocations had not yet been built.  I don't know how much of
the new trail has been built but from bits and pieces I've read, a lot of it
remains to be done.  (i.e. Electric Peak?) Dirt roads are quick and easy
walking, but if you are in a hurry, and not certain that you will be able to
do the trail in the time you have, shortcuts happen. From what I read before
we went, most thruhikers take the shortcut and we didn't miss anything.
Next time, we'll do the official route, just to see what it's like.  Same
for Henry's Lake.  I don't regret the cutoffs we took, but next time, we
probably won't take them.  We won't be in as much of a hurry next time. If
we can't finish in the time we have, we'll come back.  And hopefully we
won't have the physical problems that slowed us down last time.
Ginny

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity. It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart