[cdt-l] CDT Updates

Ginny & Jim Owen <spiritbear2k@hotmail.com> wrote:

I gave answers to several of the questions inside the text, tried to, anyway...

Jim and I got roped into doing the CDT workshop at the Gathering again – as
once again there were no volunteers. Where were you? I know, everyone
wants to do a slideshow--we all have pretty pictures -- but a workshop is a
different matter. Hopefully, with Jim’s assistance, we’ll do a better job
this time than last year when I did it alone. (I’m a very nervous public
speaker!) And next year, one of you can volunteer!

Anyhow, in going over the handout I gave out last time, I decided to check
details (i.e. zip codes) and started wondering how outdated it is in terms
of services available in the towns along the way. I remember arriving in
Pie Town expecting a grocery and two restaurants and discovering that the
one diner remaining was closed on Mondays and the only grocery had gone out
of business. They didn’t even have a coke machine in town! And the much
anticipated trail angels were busy that day!

So, to get the update process started, and to benefit next year’s hikers, I
have some questions for folks who have hiked recently:

Maildrops: Do Benchmark, Togwottee Lodge, Brooks Lake Lodge and Big Sandy
Lodge still take maildrops? How about the lodge at Garfield? How about
Ghost Ranch and the Egg Nest in Hachita? Do you have current contact info?
How about the ranger stations at Gila Hot Springs and Mimbres? What, if
anything, is at MacDonald Pass in MT these days? Has anyone reopened the
restaurants?

Benchmark: We arrived there and had to hitch over to Augusta to get a hold of the owner of Benchmark to get our packeges - you better call in advance and make sure they're there.

Big sandy - available and working good for a fee of 20 $ each package, good meals too but note that there is NO phone or E-mail service there so don't be telling your parents that your'e gonna call in a couple of days from south pass city cause your'e NOT. The phone is in their office which is 90 miles away...

Ghost ranch is available still and offer a free spot to pitch your tent if you mention you're a CDT hiker. You can get some supplies over there from the kitchen though Pam , the camping host was very nice to me and maybe others will get lucky too and get a ride with her to the next town to resupply.

Gila hot springs will hold packages also, they have a vey limited supply of groceries over there also.

In monarch pass,CO there's a place called "Monarch crest" and they will hold packages for free, and also have a deli and some groceries, not inough for resupply, though.

Mckdonald pass, MT has nothing on it but in the near by town of Elliston there's a grocery store with food inough for resupply and open from 8am till 6pm, mo thru sat , and you can mail your packeges to a motel there called the "Last Chance" and they will hold your packeges for you, I can't remember but I think they charge 20$ too.

Anyway, if anyone chosses to make a maildrop I'd call prior to shipping and to picking it up if possible also, just to make sure your'e not going down because of that.
Groceries: Some towns had small groceries, but you could resupply if you
needed to (Wisdom, East Glacier, Leadore, most of NM) but some towns really
require a maildrop, unless you are willing to hitch on to a larger town –
i.e. Benchmark, Lima, Macks Inn, Big Sandy, South Pass/Atlantic City, Twin
Lakes, Pie Town, and Gila/Mimbres Ranger Stations Any others where you
couldn’t find what you needed or the store was closed?

Twin lakes' store had everything I needed to resupply but I don't know it's hours, I think it's round 8am - 6pm.The resturant there closes at 4pm every day and has the best deli sandwiches so you better get there before or be REALLY nice to the people over there who want to go home after a hard day of work.

East Glacier had all the Groceries I needed also. And some GOOD mexican food too called "Serano's".

South Pass city had only some candy bars but it also had a post office which was not mentioned on my info pages, it also has no pay phone so don't make any plans on calling anyone from there... You can hitch to Lander and if your'e low on cash you can pitch your tent for free in the city park, which has a sign saying it's allowed and there are public restrooms over there too, pretty comfortable.

Old faithful village has everything you need BUT: it'll suck the juice out of your pockets, SB or NB you better get to the village and hitch to West Yellowstone, MT and rest there and resupply also. A mistake could cost you 132$ per night !!

Hostels: Are there still hostels in Silver City, Cuba, Grand Lake, and East
Glacier? Anyplace else?
(I don’t include trail angels who have lives that may not allow them to host
hikers every year.)

Yes, there's a hostel in Silverthorn, CO called the Alpine Hutt - 20 $ per night.

A very nice R.V. park in Lake city, CO I can't remember it's name on the creek flowing through down town.

Internet: Did Lima and Leadore ever get Internet?

Official: Were the rangers at Yellowstone still willing to arrange permits
by telephone? Any luck on getting the same in Glacier? Did any of you get
the Blackfoot Reservation permit to cross into Glacier? If so, how do you
get it?

Any major relocations that you ran into this year? (We were the first to
cross a relo in southern MT - Beautiful new sidehill trail which brought us
to a spring a mile sooner than expected – we were happy ;-) But another
time, in Colorado, we ran into a relocation that passed above the spring we
needed at the end of the day. We had to backtrack about a mile on that one.
Not happiness.

Any other areas where the information you had before you went didn’t match
reality?

Finally, if you have hiked or hope to hike, please come to the workshop.
The multitude of voices is what makes the Gathering work. We have our
experience and opinions, but know that yours may be very different. The
first time I gave a CDTworkshop, I was really shocked to be told, “No,
you’re wrong.” Now I expect it. Ours was a slow southbound hike – a fast
hike, or a northbound hike, or a hike during a fire year, etc. will all
provide different experiences. So come share yours. And for those who are
hoping to hike in the next few years, come and bring lots of questions.

Ginny

I answered what I could remember right now and if I find any other details or recall I'll mail'em too, since it's not possible for me to get there, and I wish I could. I'm still trying to get everything here together again...

Good luck !

Shachaf.

Shachaf.