[cdt-l] CDT Updates

Jim and I got roped into doing the CDT workshop at the Gathering again –  as
once again there were no volunteers.  Where were you?  I know, everyone
wants to do a slideshow--we all have pretty pictures -- but a workshop is a
different matter.  Hopefully, with Jim’s assistance, we’ll do a better job
this time than last year when I did it alone.  (I’m a very nervous public
speaker!)  And next year, one of you can volunteer!

Anyhow, in going over the handout I gave out last time, I decided to check
details (i.e. zip codes) and started wondering how outdated it is in terms
of services available in the towns along the way.  I remember arriving in
Pie Town expecting a grocery and two restaurants and discovering that the
one diner remaining was closed on Mondays and the only grocery had gone out
of business.  They didn’t even have a coke machine in town!  And the much
anticipated trail angels were busy that day!

So, to get the update process started, and to benefit next year’s hikers, I
have some questions for folks who have hiked recently:

Maildrops:  Do Benchmark, Togwottee Lodge, Brooks Lake Lodge and Big Sandy
Lodge still take maildrops?  How about the lodge at Garfield? How about
Ghost Ranch and the Egg Nest in Hachita?  Do you have current contact info?
How about the ranger stations at Gila Hot Springs and Mimbres?  What, if
anything, is at MacDonald Pass in MT these days?  Has anyone reopened the
restaurants?

Groceries:  Some towns had small groceries, but you could resupply if you
needed to (Wisdom, East Glacier, Leadore, most of NM) but some towns really
require a maildrop, unless you are willing to hitch on to a larger town –
i.e. Benchmark, Lima, Macks Inn, Big Sandy, South Pass/Atlantic City, Twin
Lakes, Pie Town, and Gila/Mimbres Ranger Stations  Any others where you
couldn’t find what you needed or the store was closed?

Hostels:  Are there still hostels in Silver City, Cuba, Grand Lake, and East
Glacier?  Anyplace else?
(I don’t include trail angels who have lives that may not allow them to host
hikers every year.)

Internet:  Did Lima and Leadore ever get Internet?

Official:  Were the rangers at Yellowstone still willing to arrange permits
by telephone?  Any luck on getting the same in Glacier?  Did any of you get
the Blackfoot Reservation permit to cross into Glacier?  If so, how do you
get it?

Any major relocations that you ran into this year?  (We were the first to
cross a relo in southern MT - Beautiful new sidehill trail which brought us
to a spring  a mile sooner than expected – we were happy ;-)  But another
time, in Colorado, we ran into a relocation that passed above the spring we
needed at the end of the day.  We had to backtrack about a mile on that one.
  Not happiness.

Any other areas where the information you had before you went didn’t match
reality?

Finally, if you have hiked or hope to hike, please come to the workshop.
The multitude of voices is what makes the Gathering work.  We have our
experience and opinions, but know that yours may be very different.  The
first time I gave a  CDTworkshop, I was really shocked to be told, “No,
you’re wrong.”  Now I expect it.  Ours was a slow southbound hike – a fast
hike, or a northbound hike, or a hike during a fire year, etc. will all
provide different experiences.  So come share yours.  And for those who are
hoping to hike in the next few years, come and bring lots of questions.

Ginny

Fast, faster, fastest: Upgrade to Cable or DSL today!
https://broadband.msn.com