[cdt-l] atlernate routes in Montana

Ryan - chances are Chris wants to connect his steps, not just hitch around
sections that are less interesting.  That's what makes it a thruhike,
generally.  If possible, we do try to connect the dots - on foot and not by
car.  Sometimes it's not possible, but if you start out planning to skip the
boring parts, it becomes very hard to finish the trail.  It's hard to
explain, but I've seen it often on the AT. The CDT has fewer dull connector
bits than most long trails, but there are a few (the awful roadwalks near
Rawlins and the Rabbit Ears come to mind.)  Even so, most of us try to do a
continuous journey, if weather, fires and forest closures permit.

You do have some interesting ideas though - and what Chris might want to do
is get the Delorme atlas for Montana, mark routes through the mountain
ranges, as recommended, and then see how he can connect the dots, using
backroads.  That's pretty much what we did in NM, before there were
guidebooks for the state.  Chris, you might see if any of the Montana hiking
guides (i.e. the Falcon books) have interesting routes through the mountain
ranges between the Beartooths and Butte.  I remember there were a lot of
mountains visible to the south (Snowy Range?) so  if you want a mountain
route, you can probably create an interesting one minimizing paved roads,and
still have your hike through the Tetons and the Absarokas.  (The Beartooths
are more interesting, more alpine, but probably too far east for your needs.

Ginny

PS - I loved the Bitterroots.  It's sage country, but I really thought it
was beautiful.

Want to check if your PC is virus-infected?  Get a FREE computer virus scan
online from McAfee.