[cdt-l] route variant around Yellowstone

Hi All,

If I hike next summer, I was thinking about doing a non-standard route in
the northern WY/southern MT area.  Specifically, dodging west from
the Wind Rivers to the Tetons, north through the park into
Yellowstone, into the northern end of that park, and then into the
Absoroka/Beartooth mountains. This area I've wanted to tramp through
for a few years.  Plus, I might scamper up Granite Peak.  This
variant would
lead me pretty naturally into Bozeman
and rather far off the divide.  Just from glancing a map, it looks like
Anaconda is the closest link up point. Unfortunately, there seems to be
very litte forest land between Bozeman and Anaconda, which meas a lot of
road walking.

So, the road walking aspect is certainly a big downside. Plus, I would
miss the Bitterroots, Lemhi Pass, etc.  Any thoughts on the route, or
how hard it would be to piece together a route from Bozeman to
Anaconda?  Is the Idaho/MT border just not to be missed?

Chris
Christopher Willett
Department of Mathematics
Indiana University