[cdt-l] just finnished the cdt

Congratulations on finishing.  I hope it was a terrific hike and that you
will have lots of stories to share.  I'm glad northern Montana was kind to
you.  Glacier can be so beautiful, if the weather is kind.

Your story of the biker reminds me of the Great Divide biker we met in
Wyoming, near South Pass.  When we said we had walked from Canada, the same
distance (or more) that he had bicycled, he fell off his bike.  We enjoyed a
nice chat.

When I was on the AT a friend met a kid at Harriman State Park in New York.
When he told the guy that he had walked there from Georgia, the kid said,
"No way, you're high."  A few minutes later, he met another hiker, and the
kid said, "you wouldn't believe this strange guy I just met who claims he
walked all the way from Georgia to New York."  The hikers smiled and said,
"Well, so did I."

When we were on the CDT it was really hard to believe that we were really
going to walk that far.  We would sometimes tell folks what we were doing,
but a little voice inside said, "You're crazy!"  Especially in Montana, when
we had barely started - Mexico seemed very far away.  So we did the usual,
concentrated on getting to the next town, or the next Forest, or the next
highlight -- and didn't worry about the end of the trail, just this week and
this month.  It wasn't until we were past Chama that it didn't seem utterly
ridiculous to say, "We're walking to Mexico."

Ginny