[cdt-l] Introduction and a couple of questions

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]

Hi to all on this list. I got some messages, so I am glad to see that there is
life on this list. I thought I would be polite and introduce myself and what I
am doing subscribing to this list. In 96 I hiked the California section of the
PCT. It was indeed a journey of a life time. Along the way I found that I fell
in love with the southern Sierra. So when I got off the trail I applied to
work at Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. I have been working there
ever since, working in the wilderness and working with people in the
frontcountry.

Currently I am living in Santa Fe, NM. I go to oriental medicine school here
during the rest of the year I am not in the Sierra, in fact I am writing this
from a far flung mesa overlooking the Rio Grande gorge and the Jemez
mountains. I have been getting the itch to get back on the trail for a while
now. A couple of months ago I decided to finish the PCT by hiking Oregon and
Washington next summer, but over the past month I have been doing alot of
camping in Southern New Mexico and I have been completely inspired by the
land. It occured to me that instead of finishing the PCT it would be far
grander, in length and difficulty, to hike the CDT. I am attracted to its
remoteness, its wildness, its solitude, its challenge, and its possible
rewards.

So I have begun the stages of planning for a thru hike of the CDT next year. I
have started reading and getting some information about it. There are a couple
of questions I have that I am sure someone can help me with on this list. I
have noticed that there are two sets of guidebooks. I have bought one of the
'official' guidebooks which is sanctioned by the CDT Alliance, my initial
reaction to the book was negative: too many glossy pictures and fancy icons
and less substance and meat. I have not checked out the other guidebooks
published by the CDT society. I am wondering, which do you like? Which one did
you use? Both? Cut and paste?

Finally, I am wondering which direction thru hikers on this list have hiked or
are planning to hike?

Good to meet you all and hope to hear from you.

Ryan

Add photos to your e-mail with MSN 8.[1] Get 2 months FREE*.