[cdt-l] route questions

Jane - I don't really have any suggestions on route, what I can say is
that CO just got slammed with snow. I am anticipating snowshoes and
ice axes for our mid june entrance into colorado...

I lived in MT for 5 years and did alot of backcountry camping there. In
grizzly country I would advise taking a rope to hang food. If I recall
correctly from two years ago, a rope is required in the yellowstone back
country. They provide hanging poles which are nice. However, this is about
the only stretch (if you don't do MT) that is griz country. As far as I
know, the wind rivers are not griz country. North of there I would hang my
food.
One note about food and your tent... having lived in griz country I have
become very anal about food near my tent, if you get it on your tent you
should rightfully hang your tent with your food. Likewise any clothes that
get food on them.... something to keep in mind as you approach griz
country...
I think thru hikers, while at greater risk because they spend so much more
time in the back country, are fairly safe from grizzlies because they
smell so bad. A bears primary sense is it nose. Just make sure to make
noise when you cant see the trail more than 100 or so ft in front of you
or if the wind is against you. You just dont want to startle a griz.
As far as the rope goes, it dosent have to be a very heavy rope at all,
just depends on how many days worth of food you need to hang and how heavy
all that is. I have used both a hardware store rope and also very thin
stuff from the climbing store ( i cant think of the right name for it
right now) not bigger than 1/8" in diameter. I would go with the latter
and take extra. It takes a while to learn how to sling and tie a rope over
a tree.... I recall my first experience in the Bob Marshall, what a mess,
dont use a carabiner to weight the end of the rope, it will likely just
end up wrapping arround and arround the tree! If you take extra rope then
you can cut ropes that get stuck.... you should see all the rope that is
left behind in trees and on poles in grizzly country!
Also you should hang your toiletries too...

James