[cdt-l] route questions

In a message dated 3/21/2003 10:16:17 AM Eastern Standard Time,
janehaxby@hotmail.com writes:

> Been lurking for quite some time now, going through the archives and
> gathering random bits of information.

Deciding which route and from where to where to is one of the harder tasks of
a CDT hike.  Starting mid may in the Gila shouldn't pose many problems, of
course that depends on the snow levels there, but usually it hasn't been a
problem.  Typically entering Colorado and the South San Juans will be more
daunting.

We made an on trail decision last year to hike CO north due to a very low
snow year.  For the most part, we only had two days of less than enjoyable
hiking with lots of postholing.

In order to have a successful CDT hike you'll have to remain extremely
flexible.  CO may be a no go early on due to snow levels and depending on
your experience.  In order to cover the trail you have planned another option
you may consider is to hike north from the Gila to Cumbres Pass, then south
from South Pass City WY to Copper Mt where if I remember correctly, the CT
bails off.  Then flipping back up to South Pass City and hiking north to
Yellowstone.

With this option you may have less of a chance into running into serious snow
pack and can use Greyhound from Antonito or Alamosa, CO to Lander WY and then
from Frisco, CO (free bus from Copper MT) back to Lander.  You may have to
hitch or find a ride from Lander to South Pass City.

It may be possible and advisable to hike south from Yellowstone starting mid
June after NM, but I never really thought about that option.

You'll definately want the CDTS guidebooks.   Northern NM generally follows
forest service road or newer trail built by the NM mountain club and avoids a
long paved road walk in and out of Charma.  If you bail at Cumbres Pass you
can hitch into Antonito and be fine with a drop at Ghost Ranch.  In WY,
there's one spot north of Sheridan Pass where the official books suggest,
since there isn't a trail (or road) you drive.  And the CDTS guidebook in CO
generally follows a more scenic and somethimes more challenging route.  The
crosscountry hike from the mountain (?) after Berthoud Pass to James Peak was
one day I'll soon not forget.  It also avoided a serious drop in elevation
and a long climb back up to James.  I had both the guidebooks, but generally
cursed the official guides.

As far as food storage in Griz country well that's up to you.  I tried to
keep my smellables down to a minimum and triple ziplocked most all my meals
through this area, but unless there was a food storage device and/or mandated
by the local authorities I always slept with our food.  My feeling is why
would a Griz bother with a couple pounds of Lipton meals when they had 200
lbs of flesh to choose from.

Sly