[cdt-l] route questions

Hi all...

Been lurking for quite some time now, going through the archives and
gathering random bits of information.  And now finally I think I have
gathered enough to ask some questions.  :)  I and my fiance Dan are planning
to hike about half the CDT this summer, from mid May through the end of
August.  We're planning to go northbound and we'd like to hike all of
Wyoming, ending in Yellowstone.  We have two main route options that I'd
really like some advice on -- option one: start near the Gila cliff
dwellings and go north along the Gila and then join the more official route,
continuing into Colorado and stopping at about where the Colorado Trail
joins the CDT (I forget exactly where that is -- somewhere near Lake City?),
then getting a ride from a friend up to northern CO,  around where the CO
Trail goes off on its own path (one of Silverthorne, Winter Park, or Grand
Lake -- we figure here we can be flexible), and hiking on through Wyoming to
YNP.  This way, we can go back and do the CO trail someday and not repeat
segments (not that that would be all bad either of course).  The other
option is to start farther north in NM and hike a lot more of Colorado.
What do you all think?  We'd like to start out kinda slow, and I'm worried
about snow/flooding now that CO got all those many feet of snow...what do
you think will be the impact of that?  Gila flooding?  Lots of snow in the
San Juans?  We're not all that experienced and would like to skip places
where ice axes are needed....

Also -- is it true that it is not necessary to bag food away from the tent
most places except in grizzly country?  I always bear bag, and don't live
near grizzlies, and am kinda surprised that most people seem to sleep with
their food...but that sounds much easier to me, so if it works, sounds good!

I'm sure I have more questions, but those are the big ones for now.  Thanks
for any advice you can give!

-Jane
(janehaxby@hotmail.com)