[cdt-l] CDT in NM

US Government facilities will not accept packages after 9/11. That rules ou=
t the Mimbres Ranger Station and the Gila Visitor Center. We resupplied thr=
u the Mimbres PO. It was a long hitch (timewise) both ways from the Mimbres=
 Ranger Station. We looked at Doc Campbells to see about picking up extras.=
 We were there early in the morning and they didn't open for another 2 hour=
s=2E We didn't see anything thru the windows that made us want to wait. We =
ate our oatmeal on their picnic table, filled our water bottle, and left fo=
r the Gila.
Ghost Ranch was a nice stop. It is owned by the Presbyterian Church. Really=
 nice, helpful people there. We camped for free. Ate family style meals. Go=
od food for reasonable prices. Nothing much in the store, but you could pro=
bably find a ride into Abiquiu. We didn't try. The museum was closed last y=
ear. Looked like it might have been interesting at one time.
 Brett Tucker <blisterfree@earthlink.net> wrote:Further interrogation of re=
cent CDT walkers in NM:

(Much of this I need to confirm by phone or e-mail, but maybe someone out
there can offer some nice perspective too.)

Has anyone stopped to get water at the Borderline Cooperative Feed & Supply,
along US 11 north of Columbus? Good experiences?

Ever try sending a resupply box to the Mimbres Ranger Station along NM 35?
Wonder if that would work in "early season"? (April) And what about the
town of Mimbres? Hitchhiking potential? Worth it?

What are the current options for resupply in the Gila Cliff Dwellings area?
I've heard one can send a package to the visitors center (but there is no
place to discard the empty box?) or alternatively resupply and spend a
night at the nearby Wilderness Lodge B&B. Good experiences at the B&B?
Pricey? Open in April?

How would one work a resupply at Ghost Ranch? Are they open in April/May?
Also, who owns this facility that hikers are allowed to cross with
"permission only"? The CDTS guide mentions a forest service office slated
to replace the defunct Ghost Ranch Living Museum (which sounded like a great
gig, so what happened to it?) Anyone know if the FS office is in existence
yet?

Thanks for the perspective,
- blisterfree