[cdt-l] NM map options

In a message dated 3/4/2003 1:19:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
blisterfree@earthlink.net writes:

> From the Gila north, and especially from Grants north, it appears that one
> could alternatively use the maps contained in the CDTA guidebook to New
> Mexico, in conjunction with the CDTS guidebook description. This, since the
> two routes are in close enough proximity to each other that the CDTS route,
> if plotted, would appear on the CDTA map coverage. The benefits of this
> approach are that we get nice, compact, color topo maps without the need to
> make endless hard copy printouts - just rip 'em out and mark 'em up. And of
> course, leave the rest of the CDTA guidebook at home.

If you feel you can navigate using the Westcliffe guidebook maps through NM
more power to you.

If I'm not mistaken, the northern most sections from Ghost Ranch to the CO
border the CDTS route isn't even on those maps.  The official route through
this section can be done with highway maps as it's a highway road walk.

We found that the BLM maps, an occasional NF map, along with Jonathan's maps
had the best combined data for the CDTS route.

Granted it was a struggle printing all of Jonathan's maps for the entire
trail, but for the most part we used them as often, if not more often than
the others excluding the Westcliffe guidebook maps which were basically
hopeless for other than an overview.

When we were at wits end, the first thing I'd say is "Let's see what Jonathan
thinks"

YMMV,

Sly