[cdt-l] Re: altitude

The aspirin definitely helps, though it makes more of a difference if you take it a day before you reach high altitude, and continue taking it while at high altitude.  I don't know that taking it for a month before hand would help much.  A word of caution--if you are prone to nosebleeds at high altitude the blood thinning characteristics of the aspirin will make the nose bleeds more frequent and harder to stop.  Same with any other bleeding injury.

Mike--are you the Mike that hiked the PCT in 2000?

--hiker 816

>>> dilorenz@hotmail.com 07/13/03 09:08PM >>>
nocona,

you may want to try eating 1/2 of a tablet of aspirin every day for 30 days
or so before you head to colorado.   this supposedly thins your blood thus
reducing the time required for acclimatization.

i do not have any first hand experience with this, but i have met stout
lunged flatlanders who have.

you may want to do a bit of research or see what the list has to say about
this suggestion.

mike d-low-renzo