[cdt-l] Re: Which CDT Starting Point (Ken Powers)

We started at Tierra Commun (Common Grounds), just off the road from
Antelope Wells and thought it was great - the main advantage being that we
didn't have to roadwalk to start out. Water was plentiful in windmills along
the way and terrain is open and pretty easy to navigate.

The disadvantages were getting there (we followed the CDTA "directions" and
bumped around on some dirt roads for quite a while before getting to the
start; though Jeff Cullum at the Hachita general store is willing to drive
folks to Tierra Commun (or Antelope Wells) for a small fee).

Following the CDTA route, we hitched into Hachita (8 miles) from the highway
(not where you first cross the road, but futher north). It was actually one
of the tougher hitches we had - not a lot of traffic and the fact that it's
right on the Mexican border makes folks a little less likely to pick people
up.

And, if you're interested in a snazzy picture at the Mexican border, there's
nothing at Tierra Commun other than a barbed-wire fence (which is apparently
pretty permeable - we saw a couple trucks on the US side come right back out
the Mexico side without going through any official border crossing).

Rafi