[cdt-l] Travailles of the northbounder

This isn't a mosquito story but a large moth story. We were hiking at noon
south of Fox Park on a gorgeous sunny day beside a small creek through one
of the best wildflower fields on the entire trip. Flying insects buzzed my
ears and then one flew IN my ear! It was too big to turn around and couldn't
back out. The fluttering made me dizzy. We tried to entice it out with a
photon. No luck. Ken poured water in my ear which made it flutter more. I
remembered warm oil for earaches as a child and we tried olive oil which at
least killed the moth. It was now so far down the ear canal that Ken
couldn't see it and we knew better than trying to swab it out with a q tip.
I "wore" that moth for four days to the clinic at Old Faithful and paid $159
for the Dr to flush it out with catheter tubing and water. (I was the third
bug-in-ear patient that season!)

That is the extent of our medical emergencies.

Olive oil is great. We started carrying it for extra calories in an 8 oz
water bottle and haven't had any leaking. I also used it as a lotion for
chapped legs when hiking up the Gila River.

At Wolf Creek Pass we tried to outrun mosquitoes at lunch time and were
caught in the June 4th snow storm around 4:00. Mosquitoes weren't a problem
after that it the S San Juan's. The only place that I remember wearing DEET
(bought in Lake City) was in the parks north of Twin Lakes.

Marcia
GottaWalk