[cdt-l] Travailles of the northbounder

     Bugs were not a concern in New Mexico last
spring.  The locals that we talked to in May said that
it hadn't rained since Christmas.  So there was very
little surface water.  Sly and I skipped from Grants
to Cumbres Pass when the National Forests closed due
to the fire hazard.  When we returned in the fall to
finish that section southbound some of the worst
mosquitos were around the cattle tanks south of Cuba
(where I got rid of my DEET).  Of course, anyone who
has hiked with me knows, I freak out if one mosquito
flies by my ear.
    In any case, with the possible exception of the
section just south of Steamboat Springs, the mosquitos
on the CDT don't come close to the clouds in the High
Sierra during snowmelt.
    As for the snow in the South San Juans last
spring, It was an extremely low snow year and our only
problem with snow was on the north facing slopes.
Once we learned to drop to the creek valley below the
snowfields and parallel the trail it became much
easier.

Ben