[cdt-l] Tony Hillerman Fans

The bootheel is one of my favorite places to get lost; so I'll be sure
to pick the book up. As for the safety...I've never had any problems.
I've taken about 5 groups to the area and always love showing of some
of the beauty in this seemingly "desolate" area. The Mexican ranchers
have stopped to talk to us, illegal aliens have opened gates for me and
some of the hikers reported sharing meals with some illegals. Ask the
Border Patrol and they'll tell you that it's dangerous, don't go
there...and I've never seen any BP. I have had my campsite buzzed by a
US Customs chopper though. And I did get stopped by a friendly Deputy
for going 60 mph in a 55 while going down there once.

As for the difference between Jim Wolfe's trail head and the
"Official"...Jim's is an easy taxi ride south of Deming. The official
trailhead is a 4-5 hour ride from El Paso. The last 2-3 hours are on
rough ranch road...and don't use the road to the trailhead that's
recommended in Westcliffe...it will make the ride longer and rougher.

Last month, my wife pointed out an article in the newspaper about the
BP finding a BIG pot stash in the bootheel. So, drug activity may be
picking up in the area.

Joel Gilbert