[cdt-l] Tony Hillerman Fans

I just finished his latest mystery, "The Sinister Pig".  A large part of it
takes place down in the bootheel of New Mexico, with frequent references to
the Big and Little Hatchets, etc.  Those who have hiked through there would
probably enjoy pinpointing the exact locations.  Even without that, the
description of the desert was very familiar to those who have been in
southern NM.  A question though - did any of you have noteworthy experiences
with either border agents or illegal border crossers in that area?  It seems
to me that the Deming route would be a bit safer in that respect, simply
because it is more populated -- you don't have the 60 miles of nothing but
desert that you have in the bootheel.  I seem to remember a blimp above the
border at Columbus - I wonder how long they were watching us approach?
Ginny

Winterize your home with tips from MSN House & Home.