[cdt-l] Cathedral in the Desert: A Thanksgiving Trip Report

First, Brian, thanks for the compliments! It was a
great trip.

Second, below is pretty much what we all used:

(THanks for the listing!)

>>1.	Rudi Lambrechtse, 1985, Hiking the Escalante
>>2.	Steve Allen,1997 Canyoneering 3:  Loop Hikes >>in
Utah's Escalante
>>3.	Ron Adkison, 1998, Hiking Grand
Staircase->>Escalante & the Glen
>>Canyon Region

For maps, I suggest first the National Geographic
"Canyons of the Escalante" Trail Illustrated Map
(#710)
You can order it from www.nationalgeographic.com

If you are going into the canyons, you may want some
more detail. For that I suggest the 7.5 minute quads.
Though, coupled with a good guidebook, the TI map was
more than adequate. You just don't get the detail for
the bends in the canyon on the TI map like you do with
a 7.5 minute quad... But, again, it is not absolutely
neccessary. Very hard to get lost in a canyon. :-)

Some of my friends also brought a GPS. For the wide
open spaces above the canyon, the GPS really shines.
Being a grump old school guy, (at the venerable age of
not-quite-30. ;-D), went the map and compass route.

=====
--Thoreau