[cdt-l] Re:Wolf route Vs The CDTA Route

Doug wrote:
>I don't have the Wolf books, have leaned towards the CDTA guide books a
>lot, but perhaps I should take a look at the alternate routes a little
>more.  the route mentioned by Jane in or around the GreatBasin in her last
>letter is completely unknown to me.

There are at least half a dozen routes through that area - some better than
others.  Depending on what you mean by "better"  <G>

Which books you use are, of course, up to you.  But I prefer Jim Wolf's
books.

>Someday the CDT will be a well established trail with blaze marks every
>half mile or so.

God - I hope not.  Some of us think a blaze every 150 miles is overkill.

>I'm wondering, when the dust settles and there is a trail, which route is
>it going to follow, or will the CDT always be an 'alternate" route trail?

Regardless of what anyone says, regardless of who claims their trail to be
"official", the CDT will always be a "do-it-yourself" trail for the smart
hikers.  There are too many possibilities to explore.  If it becomes a
single-track marked and maintained trail all the way, then it'll be nothing
but an AT or PCT clone - not the CDT that some of us know and love.

Walk softly,
Jim

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity. It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart