[cdt-l] Re: First Aid Thought

James McCreight <jimmcc@selway.umt.edu> wrote:

"Has anyone tried this 'new' 'liquid band-aid' stuff?"

Funny you should ask. I was spike camp cook for a trail crew until the
project ended yesterday, and I was forever getting poked and sliced and
nicked. I even rammed a finger into the stove while trying to catch a
falling ladle, splitting the finger nail in the process. Blood
everywhere, but this seems to be my clumsy fate every time I go into the
woods (I'm on daily aspirin). Trying to keep blood out of the oatmeal -
now that's where it really badly shows!

Liquid band-aid was offered by a concerned trail worker and she dabbed
it first on my arm which had been poked by a branch. It worked on the
dried surface very well, because it was at a quiet place away from a
joint. Next, for a finger nick, I again called for first aid and after
the treatment I kept the finger straight to avoid touching the onion I
was chopping. The liquid band-aid stanched the flow until I left the
cutting board and unconsciously gripped a handle in order to pull a pot
off the stove.  I then lost my patience and applied a regular band-aid.

Well, the big calamity was when I rammed my other forefinger into the
stove and things then went badly since it was obvious the liquid
band-aid would be overwhelmed; there was no dry skin left to which it
could adhere. I just had to stand there holding my hand over my head and
clutching a paper towel, while the other hand was reaching for a new
one. All the while I tried to look unconcerned since my trail crew was
now looking on. Regular band aids and gauze pads had to be added
sequentially around the split nail and cut fingertip until there was
this big red lump. It still needed extra help from paper towels and a
crew member was tasked with folding them into thick strips. By then some
guys were feeling woozy and they decided to go off and sharpen their
Pulaskis or something. I taped my still oozing finger inside a Ziploc
bag at bedtime. This had been a notably bad day for me. The following
morning I was still very watchful of where my finger was when beating
the pancake batter.

So, in my experience: liquid band-aid works for small wounds which can
be kept quiet and immobile, but it may not adequately seal even a small
cut at the small joint areas of the fingers which are prone to movement.
Its use would seem to be definitely challenged by a wound exhibiting
fairly large and  steady blood flow, for which direct pressure,
elevation, and then a bandage would probably be the best course.
--
Campy
Central California Trail Coordinator

http://www.trailprojects.com  or
http://www.trailvolunteer.com  click on PCT

"Time spent doing trail work shall not be deducted from your life!"