[cdt-l] 'Where the Waters Divide'

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]

Yesterday I finished reading the book, 'Where the Waters Divide' by Karen
Berger.  It was a good read, it got me excited about hiking the trail next
summer. It was surprisingly well written. I am used to adventure narratives
where the english is clumsy and the narrative rather pastel. What surprised me
about this book is the amount of effort that went into historical research and
background. Its not just a story about their trip on the CDT, but a story of
the land the CDT crosses.

There is allot of political commentary in the book and to some it will rub
them the wrong way. However, it mirrored my own experience with public lands.
Her insight stems from miles and miles of observation into the heart of our
public lands.

They hiked the trail in 1990, and I cant help but to wonder how the route has
changed since then. It seems to me the CDT is a young trail and through its
growth it has sprouted new routes, while old ones fall away.

>From my own experience I have learned that no book or picture can actually
capture the feeling of being on the trail. I will never forget the feeling I
had at my first campsite on the PCT 20 miles north of the border. It was dusk,
and fragrant wisps of steam was rising from my dinner. While looking up at the
sky I was suddenly overcome with an expansive sense of joy as I realized that
I was going to spend the next 6 months in the wilderness. No book or picture
can capture the feeling one gets a few months into a long hike. Its a change
of perspective. A change from viewing the wilderness from the vantage point of
a visitor, to viewing the wilds as home- when trees, rocks, birds and flowers
become blood relatives and your living room becomes as wide as the world.

Ryan

Protect your PC - Click here[1] for McAfee.com VirusScan Online