[cdt-l] Packing Pepper Spray

Dave Fales wrote:

> your stuped unless you carry peper spray when I worked in yelowsoten any
> bear atakes I went to was ebcuse the idotios had no bear spray

	Doug and/or Sue, I would suggest contacting the appropriate authorities
instead of listening to self-proclaimed experts on this forum. At least
you can trust that the folks wearing ranger uniforms are actually what
they claim to be.

	As for my own gratuitous bear story, my close encounter with a grizzly
at Two Medicine in Glacier NP last summer came about when I heard
something moving through the tall brush near the trail. It was coming
directly towards me, and I couldn't see anything over or through the
vegetation. So I said something out loud, and a beautiful grizzly stood
up a mere 30 feet away so he could check me out. I continued to speak
calmly and backed up slowly. He dropped back down to all fours and
turned his back to me. I then moved cautiously forward and past him; the
bear and I each went our separate ways. (At the time I was on the wrong
end of a dead-end trail; I had to go forward to get out or I would have
tried a different route back to camp.)

> Glcior bears are the most dangress bears.

	If 'Glacier bears are the most dangerous', and mine was representative,
I'm not too worried then. I did everything correctly, the bear did
everything correctly, and we both got to live awhile longer. I don't
carry pepper spray on the trail; I don't trust it to work in a close
encounter with a bear; too many variables. I do carry a six-foot
hardwood hiking staff, a backpack and a brain. Between them I'm pretty
confident that one way or another I can avoid becoming bear chow. If I'm
wrong, then davef can call me an idiot after I'm dead. Until then I'll
be here, along with the rest of you, judging who is and is not an idiot
in these forums based on things other than what's on their belt.

	Ron

must preside at our assemblies.
	William O. Douglas

yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com