[cdt-l] Special Film for Slides?

You can make slides with regular 35mm print film, but it's expensive
"per slide" and they just won't be as clear/crisp as slides made from
slide film. On the flip side, you can make prints with slide film, but
it's also expensive "per print". The photos made from slide film will be
quite clear/crisp though!

Slide film generally has a finer granularity & therefore gets better
resolution. But, it's based on a different kind of process (here's where
I risk exceeding my expertise) wrt/ how the negatives are made - they're
somehow opposite of print film...

As for digital (which is what I use on all my weekend adventures,
etc...) It would be a really cumbersome process to make digital prints &
somehow convert them to slides... There used-to be machines that
essentially took photos of computer screens in the days before digital
projectors (I used to have one at work). This might be an option if you
can find a facility with the machine. Still, you'll probably lose some
quality as the resulting slide will probably not reflect the full
resolution of your digital photo. If you find someone with this
capability, ask a lot of questions, especially how many pixels get
burned to the slide film.

Another option (and the one I've opted for) is to go with a digital
projector. Problem is that they're quite expensive... and even expensive
to rent (~$100/day). Plus, there are a whole host of issues wrt/
choosing one and buying one - it requires some degree of research
(issues like lumens, resolution, DLP vs. LCD, etc etc etc...)

A digital projector won't give as good of resolution as a good
old-fashioned slide projector, but you can be more creative with a
digital projector (plus you can use it to watch DVD's!), and I think at
1024x768 or higher, they're clear enough to get the point across.

-Jonathan

Hey Now,

Question that's not directly related to the CDT, my apologies but i
don't
wanna go ask around in a photography newsgroup or something since slide
shows
have been mentioned here twice recently - anyway... does one need
special
film for slides?  It's my understanding that that used to be the case
but is
it nowadays?  This question may be considered dumb to some (excuse me
for not
being knowledgable about everything in the universe!) - can slides be
made if
i'm using a digital camera?  I guess the pics would hafta be printed
then
made into slides somehow or no, nope, not gonna happen, must use a 35mm
camera?  I'm thinkin' about being able to present some of my upcoming
hikes
with slides if the opportunity arises so your input to my wondering will
be
GREATLY appreciated and I thank you mucho!

chris