[cdt-l] CDT Planning

--
I've had a couple people write me asking about CDT planning, concerned that
the cdt-l didn't have much traffic.  Here's what I wrote back.  If anyone
would like to add to list list of web resources or make comments, please feel
free.

-----------------------------------
The cdt-l never has much going on unless you ask questions.  Probably the
best place to start is the backcountry.net archives.

http://www.backcountry.net/arch/cdt/    you can read everything that's ever
been written since day one.  Jim and Ginny Owen put together a series of
posts that are most helpful, click on the year 2000 to find their series
posts.

www.cdtsociety.org  is your nest stop.  The CDTS is the "hikers"
organization, where you can order maps and the cdts guidebooks, compiled by
Jim Wolf and other society members.  I'm sure you probably know already, but
the CDT is unlike the AT or PCT as that's it's not a completed trail.  There
is no singular path from Mexico to Canada, or visa versa, and you're free to
walk where you choose, not including private property, of course.  The CDTS
route, although not "official" in many places, is generally considered the
most scenic with the least amount of paved road walking.  Jim Wolf has been
dedicated to the trail for the last 25 years and was instrumental in making
the CDT a national scenic trail.

www.cdtrail.org  an upstart, has been around about 7 years.  They work
closely with the government organizations such as the forest service to put a
trail in place where there isn't any.  Perhaps more politically correct,
hikers aren't their only interest. They offer a series of "official"
guidebooks that aren't worth much unless you like heavy paper and pretty
pictures.  However, there is lots info on their website that you may find
useful including a list of land management agencies.

http://phlumf.com/cdt/cdt.htm  Jonathan hiked the trail in 2001 and offers a
complete set of printable maps on compact disc.  These maps are the best
things to hit the planet, although you may want to back them up in certain
areas with TI, FS, BLM or USGS maps. Also, his journal is one of the best
I've ever read on any trail and is a must read.

http://www.wy.blm.gov/Recreation/cdnst/CDNST.htm  the BLM CDT Wyoming website
with a list of important water sources where there isn't any.

I forgot to add Tom Bombadil's Hiking page an important resource for NM and
will post it here..

http://www.7cities.net/~roadrunner/hiking.html

Any others?

Sly