[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[cdt-l] Hello, etc. (First post).
In a message dated 7/25/2002 7:06:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> here's what I'm wondering: Is there some way that any
> of you know about that I could put together a few
> months worth of backpacking in the south.
How about coming to Florida? Hike the Florida Trail. Several reasons:
1) It's our prime season
2) You'd probably be running into some ECT hikers. You might learn a few
things from folks who are on a 4,800 mile hike themselves.
3) A unique ecology. Florida gets its share of derision from the long
distance hiking community, primarily due to its lack of mountains, but when
immersed in its subtlety and aware of the things that are unique to it of all
the LD trails, you will have a rewarding two month adventure on an uncrowded
4) Being uncrowded, we still have that wonderful trail magic with lots of
fine folks who love to help hikers with good ol' southern hospitality.
5) Climate -- the rest of the country is so jealous of our winter
temperatures! It is mostly dry then too.
6) 1,200 miles of trails and major alternate routes to give you plenty of
7) A couple hundred miles of road walk to get you ready for the CDT! :)
If you want to learn more, go to www.backcountry.net and subscribe to the
Florida Trail List. We will be happy to provide you all the information you
need to plan a thruhike of the Florida Trail.
--- StripMime Report -- processed MIME parts ---
text/plain (text body -- kept)