From: cdt-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:cdt-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net]On Behalf Of Jintra
Sent: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 3:35 AM
To: cdt-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [cdt-l] New Mexico Routes in winter

Hi folks,

This is my first post to the forum. You may have heard a while back from
my two hiking partners, Jen and DD, who began our CDT trek in Colorado 2
weeks ago. All is well with them as they hone their wildfire avoidance
skills, and I will join them soon. (yeah!)

My question is about New Mexico routes, which I am working on now. We
plan to begin in northern New Mexico around Nov.1 Our chosen route is
mostly following James Wolf, although I am also looking at the
"official" route for reference. I am assuming that we can expect snow in
a lot of the higher sections, and general cold everywhere? Does that
mean we should avoid the Gila MiddleFork because of too many crossing in
cold water? If so, I am looking for ways around the Middle Fork that
will still take us to the Cliff Dwellings, and not send us into total
and waterless desert. Suggestions? I have never hiked in NewMexico, so
any help is much appreciated!! :confused: