[cdt-l] Re: the concept of the CDT

I realize this thread is getting off-topic, but we all have to talk
about "something"!

I just like to make a couple points... A thing doesn't need to have a
definitive boundary to be "real".  For example, where does a mountain
end? I was hiking by Mt. Rainier the other day & couldn't really decide
if the mountain was just the summit, just the glaciated part, just the
part inside the NP, or extended to cover hundreds of square miles - any
bit of land uplifted toward the summit. Still, it's difficult to dispute
there is a Mt. Rainier (at least for now).  Likewise, the divide doesn't
need to be an infinitesimal line with a definitive "edge". It can be
defined as an area or region.  Certainly, a raindrop that falls on the
summit of Mt. Elbert may have any one of a number of ultimate destinies.
Sometimes the divide is thick - like in the valley just to the north of
two ocean pass - the one that holds the creek that splits. The divide is
that entire valley (even though some USGS cartographer picked the
eastern ridge to "draw a line"). But, still, the Missouri river flows to
the Atlantic & the Snake/Columbia flows to the pacific & at some point
water either flows in one or the other.

Also, the divide isn't a political, man-made boundary like the
international date line, it is a geographical feature, embedded in the
very nature of the land. The concept of "watersheds" is a very important
one that has practical implications in our everyday lives - all the
water we drink comes from somewhere.

-Jonathan