[cdt-l] AT mileage

Marcia,
The AT is the toughest of the three trails per mile, especially if you disc=
ount the effects of altitude, weather, etc. It's also tough because some of=
 the more difficult sections are at the two ends of the trail. i.e. you don=
't get a chance to "warm up." Even so, the CDT has some extremely difficult=
 cross-country sections. It would be quite safe to assume that you can aver=
age at least as many miles per day on the AT as you did on the cross-countr=
y CDT sections.
On the other hand, there are new distractions on the AT that you didn't see=
 much of on the CDT. There are lots of towns and shelters. If you are the k=
ind of person who will cut a hiking day short to stay at a nice shelter or =
take too many layovers in town, you will probably be slower on the AT.
I know it's ironic to hear this advice from me, but don't be in too big a h=
urry to hike the AT. The towns, lakes, streams, people, etc. are definitely=
 a big part of the AT experience. It's a wonderful trail. Don't rush things=
.
Flyin' Brian
 Marcia Powers <gottawalk@pacbell.net> wrote:This is a multi-part message i=
n MIME format.
We're considering the AT for 2003 and are in exploratory stages. Does a hik=
er hike the same daily mileage on the AT that he or she hiked on the PCT or=
 CDT? I think I've read that all the up and down lessens mileage. The CDT h=
ad days of a vertical mile gain as we followed the divide in little 300-800=
' gains and losses. I also understand that the AT has rough tread in places=
 but it seems to me that any tread at all is easier than the roughness of n=
o tread, not to mention the time factor in route finding. I know that each =
trail is different but we wanted a comparison rule of thumb for figuring da=
ily distance and resupply.

TIA
Marcia
GottaWalk