[cdt-l] cdta/cdts?

Matthew Abernathy wrote:

> Hello cdt-l folks, i usually lurk on these lists but i am curious as to why there is a cdt alliance and a cdt society.  what is the difference between the two?  are their agendas so different that they can't work together on a trail that isn't complete and protected?  someone mentioned to me that one of the organizations supports motor vehicle use and maybe that is why they separate.  Also i noticed that the cdta puts out "the official guide" while the cdts has the jim wolf guides.  are they proponents of similar routes, or do they differ there as well?
> thank you
> matt pct'00

	I wrote both organizations earlier this year and asked them the same
thing. Both sent polite, politic replies that failed to answer the
question. It appears, at least to this outsider, that the powers that be
in the two groups have different ideas on how to best support the trail.
	The CDTS (http://www.gorp.com/cdts/default.htm) is the older and its
Director, Jim Wolf, has been intimately involved with the formation and
routing of the CDT from its inception. His knowledge and advocacy is of
great value in my opinion. Anyone planning to do a thru-hike of the
trail really should check out his guidebooks.

	The CDTA (http://www.cdtrail.org/) is much younger, non-profit, and is
supported, at least in part, by a number of heavy hitters
(http://www.cdtrail.org/sponsors.html) in the the field of recreation.
They seem to know how to play the public relations game very well, and
they have a number of projects to improve both the Trail and its image.
For example, I participated this last summer in United Along the Divide
II, which involved hiking portions of the CDT and reporting on its
current state so that future planning will have better information to
work with. As far as I can tell, the only thing that makes their guides
'official' is that they put the word in their titles.

	As for their stands on trail use, there's
http://www.gorp.com/cdts/trlstat.htm &
http://www.cdtrail.org/position.html. Neither supports expanded
motorized use (use that existed on sections of the trail when it was
designated as such is grandfathered in), but the CDTA also supports
mountain biking on the Trail, while the CDTS opposes it (see the
position statements for their wording).

	Ron
--

yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com