From: cdt-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:cdt-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net]On Behalf Of Jonathan Ley
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2001 1:22 PM
To: cdt-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [cdt-l] back from 2001 hike

Hi all,
Well, I finally made it.  Let out a couple "wahoo's!"
and hung with the boys at Antelope Wells.  I'm back on
the list.  Are there any other 2001'ers out there?
(there are only a handfull anyway & a bunch of them
are still hiking).  I hope to provide as much info as
I can to 2002 hikers (but I'm not going to subscribe
to that other list).  If anyone out there has any
questions about anything, I'm pretty fresh off the
trail... I plan to post some unsolicitied advice/info
as well.  A few tidbits:

I started on June 15th & had no problems with existing
snowpack up north.  The snow was about 60-70% of
normal.  I only needed an ice-axe for about 20 yards
of crossing the Ahern Drift - chopped steps, etc.
That's a short distance, but there's really no way
around it & it would be very dangerous to cross in
early season without one.  Of course, you could take
another (official) route through GNP and avoid the
drift altogether.

I'd recommend using the CDTS/Jim Wolf guidebooks,
especially if you're headed south.  There are a few
places where the other guidebooks WILL get you lost -
There simply isn't enough detail in them & the trail
is unmarked in those places.  It would help to have a
good topo map for those bits, but the trail isn't
always on those either...

I had pretty decent weather the whole way.  Plenty of
thunderstorms in July/August, but they never lasted
long. I got lucky & had no lightning in the few places
in MT/ID where cover is miles away in any direction.
Got 8 inches of snow in No. Colorado on Sept 8th, but
it was a fluke somewhat & cleared.  I just got out of
the San Juans before a nasty cold front came through
around Oct 10-12th (I think).  I talked to someone a
week behind me & he had knee-deep snow there. yikes!

In NM, I followed the CDTS route to Grants, then made
my own route to pie town (more details later), had no
problems hitching to reserve - plenty of traffic.  The
trails in the northern Gila are not good.  There is a
designated route along the divide (which I followed
for a little while), but it appears to be nothing more
than tree blazes - 0 tread & lots of nasty
bushwhacking & no water.  I followed the Gila river
for longer than most do & it was a treat, although my
exact route would probably be impassable in the
spring.  I had no problems with water in any of NM.
My water either came from towns/businesses/hunters or
stock tanks.  The lack of surface water in the fall in
NM didn't matter. I hiked about 27-30 mpd in NM and
had a max capacity of 4 liters, although I rarely
needed it. Weather in NM was 60-75 & p/c skies
generally.  Very pleasant for walking.

-Jonathan
pct 99
cdt 01 <--- yeah!