[cdt-l] Silverton resupply

Anyone planning to hike the CDT should consider Silverton as a resupply
point. Someone recently told me it was their favorite trail town on the CDT.
Since I moved I am now closer to the Divide and only 35 miles from
Silverton. Winter is late so I was able to get most of the way up to Stony
Pass yesterday.

If you decide to come down, your best bet is from Stony Pass. Most likely
you won't see much traffic in the first 2-3 miles, but you'd be surprised
how popular the Alpine Loop and other jeep roads are out here. Once you get
into the valley the road is good and numerous people frequent the area to
investigate the old mining towns and ruins. Some of the wealthiest and most
innovative mines are located just below the Divide and above Silverton.

IMO, if you saw no traffic along the FS road from Stony Pass then you'd find
a ride from the Ghost town of Howardsville on CO 110. Howardsville is
approximately 5 miles from Stony Pass. It's about 3 miles from the Pass to
the initial valley below. From there it's a good road, passable to passenger
cars.

Why Silverton? Like Creede and a few other once prosperous mining towns,
Silverton hasn't fallen prey to the sprawling resorts. Situated in a high
valley (9,000 + feet), some diehards and mountian freaks ride out 8-9 months
of winter here. During the summer the old rail line from Durango transports
tourists back and forth. There are places to lodge, including a hostel. A
few cafes, coffee houses and other shops are easy to reach by foot. There's
a PO, library, etc. It's a good town if your feet are your only carriage.

David