[cdt-l] Snow Pack

Thanks David, for the update on the Wolf Creek area.  According to the
Department of Agriculture, the Rio Grande River Basin has over three times
the amount of snow this year compared to the same time last year.  A good
site, I recommend it to anyone planning a thru-hike, is the US Department of
Agriculture Natural Resources page:
(http://www.co.nrcs.usda.gov/snow/snow-index.htm)
Here you can get snowpack depths, percentage of normals, resevoir levels,
river gage info and countless other valuable or redundant numbers.  There
are literally hundreds of "data sites" from deadman to wolf creek pass to
beartown.  The best stats, I think, are for "total snow depth" and
"snow/water equivalent percentage of normal".  Growing up in the Wasatch I
learned its not always the foot of snow that matters, but how much water
that foot contains.

According to Snowtel, wolf creek summit has seen about 101 percent of normal
snow/water equivalent this year (prior to the always heavy spring snows of
course).  That is much greater than the last two, relatively dry, years.
(Tell that to the thru-hikers post holing out of the pass!)  Anyway, this
site is invaluable to the prospective hiker who does not live in the four
corners area and is unable to moniter the winter/spring precipitation daily.
  For river depths and flood warnings in the area check out the fabulous
Colorado Basin River Forecast Center site at:  http://www.cbrfc.gov

--Soren.