[cdt-l] Overland Trail No 36

Ellinwood_R@mail.lynchburg.edu writes:

<< Subj:     [cdt-l] Overland Trail No 36
 Date:  3/4/01 4:06:20 PM Eastern Standard Time
 From:  Ellinwood_R@mail.lynchburg.edu (Ellinwood, Bob)
 Sender:    cdt-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net
 To:    cdt-l@mailman.backcountry.net ('cdt-l@mailman.backcountry.net')

 A question for Jim Wolf,  Cdtsociety...

 Jim,  might as well pose this on the list, rather than privately, in case
 someone else has interest.  You're the man when it comes to history along
 the CDT, so...

 In your S. Montana/Idaho guidebook,  Big Hole Segment, Section 3, a jeep
 road "Overland Trail No. 36" is encountered at 10.1 and at 17.4.   We passed
 "The Overland Trail" in central WY, involving pioneer migration, but could
 there possibly be a relationship to this road?  I don't see a reference to
 it in the history section in the back of your guide.  Are you aware of any
 historical significance to this "Overland Trail No. 36" or why the name?

 An order for the latest supplement for this guide is in the mail to you. I
 look forward to getting it.

 Thanks,

 Bob

Accordiing the "Historic Transportation Routes Through Southwestern Montana,"
by Patricia M. Ingram, several stage lines were established in the 1860s,
providing public transportation to various points including Bannack.  Several
of these routes were identified as the Overland. Overland #1 went through
Monida Pass. Overland # 3 had two variants -- through Medicine Lodge Pass and
Lemhi Pass.  I have not been able to document the "Overland Trail" on the CDT
route, though it was most likely part of a stage route from the Big Hole to
Salmon via Goldstone Pass.

The connection with the Overland Trail in Wyoming is probably that all the
trails concerned were projects of Ben Holladay's Overland StageCompany.

If I learn any more, I will pass it along.

Jim Wolf