[cdt-l] CDT in New Mexico

David,

I just currently completed the Ghost Ranch to Cumbres section of the CDT
(through the TA) and had absolutely no ill encounters.  On the contrary, I
found the people of New Mexico, including those in and around the TA, to be
totally amicable and friendly.  They were all very interested in my hike and
were more than willing to give me advice as to water, directions, where the
best restaraunt in Chama is and where, etc.  To anyone hiking through the
region:  It would be a travesty and a mistake to hike the highway from Ghost
Ranch to Chama.  The route through the Carson and the TA is stunningly
beautiful and lush (especially to those of us who have spent the last month
dealing with the heat and aridity of the trail south of there).  Coming out
of the Box Canyon (arroyo del Yeso) and up onto the verdant ridges of the
Carson NF was a highlight of my ongoing trip.

--Soren Jespersen