[cdt-l] CDT in New Mexico

Thanks for the post and link. Just curious, has anyone had any difficulty or
adversarial encounters while hiking through the TA? My personal experiences
with the locals have been nothing but positive. It seems that these land
issues are much larger than the CDT. However, it would be wise to resolve
them prior to designating an official trail in the Carson Forest. Perhaps
this section could be one of the few incomplete sections that remain
incomplete.

Hikers should also be aware that whether or not they support ranching there
is a movement to remove cattle from our National Forests. Hence, ranchers
feel threatened by hikers who often times don't totally understand the land
use issues. My chief complaint is the devastation of riparian areas and
overdrawing on the aquifers. Despite these problems many ranchers are good
stewards of the range and do what they know to protect and preserve the
productivity of their allotments as well as their traditional way of life.

David