From: Linda <gothicgirl69_us@yahoo.com>
To: <cdt-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Cc: <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>; <nct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>;
<iat-l@mailman.backcountry.net>; <ft-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2001 11:09 AM
Subject: [cdt-l] Instant Oatmeal Mixes

BlankHi!
A reader from one of the digests asked me if I had any ideas on how to jazz
up their oatmeal.
Here it is:
INSTANT OATMEAL MIXES
This compilation of "Instant Oatmeal Mixes: Oatmeal, again?" arose from
purely selfish reasons. Being an avid backpacker/camper & the mother of 2
young girls, working 2 jobs, & going full-time to nursing school (how did I
do it ?!!), I needed something low cost, quick, easy, traveled well, &
lightweight; yet, was tasty, nutritious, interesting, & adaptable. Viola! It
was no longer, "Oatmeal, again?"

So make your own homemade flavored instant oatmeal mixes for low cost,
additive-free alternatives to the pricey, chemical-laden prepared mixes in
the grocery store. Also, it allows you to create, individualize, & vary the
packets according to your likes. Try the flavor variations offered here or
make up your own favorites, & share your ideas &/or recipe(s) with me.

Plain Instant Oatmeal
Yields: 8 servings

@ Home:
3 cups quick-cooking oats: Blend 1 c of the oats in a food processor until
powdery (if using a blender, blend 1/2 c @ a time). Leave the other 2 c as
is.
You will need 8 plastic sandwich bags.
Optional flavor ingredients (below)

Into each sandwich bag: 1/4 c unpowdered oats, 2 TBSP powdered oats, and a
scant 1/4 tsp salt. Store in a box or airtight container.

@ Camp: Empty packet into a bowl/cup. Add 3/4 c boiling water; stir and let
stand for 2 minutes. For thicker oatmeal, use less water; for thinner, use
more water.
Note: For a creamier oatmeal: Mix the bag with 3/4 c cold water; let stand
1 - 2 min; then cook to heat thru (or eat as is).

VARIATIONS:
Sweetened Oatmeal
To each packet, add 1-2 tsp sugar.

Creamy Oatmeal
To each packet, add 1 TBSP powdered dry milk.

Creamy & Sweetened Oatmeal
To each packet, add 1-2 tsp sugar & 1 TBSP powdered dry milk.

Apple-Cinnamon Oatmeal
To each packet, add 1-2 tsp sugar, dash or 2 of cinnamon, and 2 TBSP chopped
dried apples.

Cinnamon-Spice Oatmeal
To each packet, add 1-2 tsp sugar, 2 dashes of cinnamon, and a dash of
nutmeg.

Oatmeal with Raisins & Brown Sugar
To each packet, add 1 tsp packed brown sugar and 1 TBSP raisins.

Wheat Germ Oatmeal
To each packet, add 2 tsp wheat germ.

Fruit & Cream
To each packet, add 1 TBSP powdered dry milk and 2 TBSP chopped dried fruit.

(In addition to the above) To flavor, sweeten, & fortify bland oatmeal, try:
Extracts: (1/8-1/4 tsp of 1 ext.) vanilla, almond, rum, etc; cloves,
allspice, mace (very strong spices; use as a 'dash of'); instant coffee,
brown sugar, date sugar or dates, molasses, honey, syrups, dehydrated fruit
compote or fruit medley, rehydrated; crushed candies, Red Hot candies
(cinnamony); chocolate, butterscotch, or peanut butter chips; mini
marshmallows, any dried fruits (or a combo of any), instant drink
mixes/crystals/powders, instant cocoa (mixes), malted milk powder,
jams/jellies, yogurt (plain/flavored), flavored gelatins, pudding mixes,
seeds &/or nuts, fruit leathers, peanut butter (or other nut butter),
margarine (or Butter Buds), BacoBits, (meat) jerky bits, tofu "bacon", tofu
jerky, bits of mincemeat or pemmican, dried &/or candied orange/lemon peel,
Nutella, or anything from your gorp bag, etc, etc.

Try combining other quick-cooking cereals (cream of wheat/rice/barley,
Malt-O-Meal, etc) or dry cereals (granolas, muesli, Bran Buds, All-Bran,
etc) to the oatmeal packets.

*For an even creamier oatmeal, add 1-2 generous heaping tsp powdered creamer
(& it improves the taste of the dry milk, when used).
gothicgirl69_us @ yahoo.com

multipart/related
  multipart/alternative
    text/html