[cdt-l] cdt MAPS

John I think most first time CDT hikers would pay $20 bucks just to see
where the heck the route goes. When I hiked it in 99 I wasn't sure of much
of the route when I left. I had to ask a lot of questions along the way. I
used forest service maps and Delorme topo map books and did fine with them.
The way I figure it you could spend a buck a mile on maps if you wanted the
best information. But then you would have to take a mule along to haul
them. Many of the new forest service maps have the trail marked. But then
again many of the forest do not have the trail designated yet. It is an
individual route preference. I notice a lot of hikers go through the Gila
Dwellings although the official marked trail does not go that way. Keep
offering your maps. There is too little info available out there and every
bit helps future thru-hikers in their planning.
--Keep Smilin', Dick E. Bird
The Dick E. Bird News
P.O. Box 377
Acme, MI 49610