[cdt-l] Another Colorado question

Paul -
Coming in from the north side, there is a permit booth next to one of the
lakes, right at the trailhead. After Sept 15 permits aren't required. We
were there on Sept. 15th and they had already closed the booth and two out
of three of the campgrounds by the lake.  It would be a good idea to call to
find out about the permit process if you are going to be there earlier.
Early season northbound hikers may be there before permits are required, but
they should check. It was an absolutely gorgeous area but  quite popular,
even off season and mid-week.  We ran into two groups of junior high age
kids from Texas out for a week, freezing as it was, and a lot of dayhikers.

If you choose to the do the wierd loop through RMNP, there is a ranger
station that you pass by at the beginning of the eastward circle. You might
be able to get the permit there, as well as the one for RMNP. They were the
ones that told us we didn't need the permit at Indian Peaks.

As to other permits - Yellowstone let us call in reservations from Lima. No
problem. Glacier you have to do in person, which can be a major hassle.  (We
were sent to a ranger station 90 minutes away because the one at nearby Two
Medicine didn't have a computer and the person at the desk didn't feel
competent to make our reservations by telephone.  Then we were too late at
St. Mary's (the LNT lecture lasts about 45 minutes and the ranger wanted to
go home at 4:00) and were told we had to go back the next day. Since we
didn't want to do another 3 hour RT drive, we went back to Two Medicine the
next day, where we were given our permit, by telephone of course.  If we
hadn't had the use of a friend's car we would have really been upset.  At
that, we were lucky - at least we got a permit, even if they did kick us out
of the park mid-way.)

Ginny