[cdt-l] CDTA response

Response to David Patterson's question:
Glad you asked the question regarding what the CDTA is doing to protect the
CDT. This summer (July 21- Aug 5, 2001) we are coordinating a special event
called Uniting Along the Divide II where hundreds of volunteers will be
traveling the CDT to document the nationally significant scenic, historic,
natural, recreational and cultural features to preserve the ultimate CDT
experience and vision. Where the CDT does not yet exist, or is in an
undesirable location, these teams will explore the area for the ultimate CDT
location.
This information will then be used to help us develop a Master Plan
(including a corridor) for the CDT. We have been working on the CDT corridor
concept for the past year. During our 3rd national conference in 1999,
participants asked the CDTA to investigate identifying a corridor for the
Trail. We have been working with the land managers to get buy-in before we
proceed. Afterall, nothing is going to happen if the land managers don't buy
in to it. Things are looking good so far. Many of them are excited about the
concept but warn us about the fears private property owners may have near the
Trail.
A Master Plan for the CDT will provide us the tools we need to manage and
protect the CDT into the future. We will be discussing this information at
our 4th national conference, TrailFest 2001, in Breckenridge, Colorado on
Sept. 7-9, 2001.
We welcome your participation in Uniting Along the Divide II and TrailFest
2001. Please contact me if you would like more information on how to get
involved.
We look forward to your involvement!
Paula Ward, Exec. Director
Continental Divide Trail Alliance