[cdt-l] Malpais EIS

Jim -
I wonder - about a lot of things, but specifically -
The EIS states in a number of places that the Chain of Craters route is a
problem with respect to Native American (Navajo) religious claims. It also
states plainly that La Ventana and the Narrows have no such problems.  Who
is it that can't read?

We talked to the BLM rangers down there - they don't think much of the
"official' route either.  Not only because of the 42 mile waterless section,
but also because of the long subsequent roadwalk into Pie Town.

We spent some time (11 miles) on a paved road (NM 117) south of the Zuni
Acoma Trail, but our route minimized that time/distance.  The Chain of
Craters route maximizes the road walk --- on paved (and busy) NM 117 (about
50 miles total) and NM 36 (another 5 or 6 miles) and then more on the back
roads heading east to Pie Town.  The only mitigating factor is that there's
"supposed to be" trail from the west end of the Zuni-Acoma Trail where we
picked it up near Bonita Road to the Ranger station 5 miles west on NM53.
That means less road walk, but more rough lava.  Then you begin the
waterless stretch.  The previous stretch between the ranger stations is
about 15-20 waterless miles and part of it is really rough.

Actually, the real mitigating factor on the 'official' route is that it's
really pretty country - but no more so than Bonita Canyon, La Ventana, the
Narrows and the Cebolla Wilderness.

I need to go back and take another look at the EIS - I think they ignored
some other things in there too. Seems to me that the plans were to put in
some horsey trailheads - and there were some words about trails on the east
side.  Hmmm - I wonder if the Navajos would appreciate some more allies.
:-)

On the other hand, the Navajo wouldn't like my view of their objection to
routing the trail over Mt Taylor.  But that's another discussion.

Walk softly on that lava,
Jim