[cdt-l] resupply stops and more NM ?'s

"David Patterson" <wr_ddp@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Is it me or am I the only one who likes the BLM maps? As far as I'm
>concerned they are relatively accurate despite not depicting some of the
>roads and windmills.

David - you answered your own question.  A map is a representation of
reality.  If it doesn't reflect what's "actually on the ground" then it's
not real.  By definition, it's then 'inaccurate'.

It's one thing for the BLM and USFS --- and TI - to manipulate "digitized
data" (i.e. delete "on the ground" features from maps) for specific
management purposes.  It's an entirely different matter for them to sell
those "manipulated" maps to the general public with the implication that
they're 'accurate' and therefore a 'real' representation of what's on the
ground and suitable for navigation. That's deception.

>From a hikers point of view (mine) inaccurate maps are ripoff - they're not
what I paid for.  In addition, they're dangerous.  Not so much in the NM
desert, but how would you like to use that kind of map in the Whites or in
northern Montana - in the snow.

And I didn't even mention annoying - because we stopped being annoyed - we
learned to laugh at the maps.  But I'm still annoyed at the agencies that
perpetrate that nonsense. I get irritated at 'bait and switch' tactics - and
many of the maps are on the same ethical level.

We've run into some of this on the East Coast too - I don't like it here
either.

>Regarding the accuracy of maps it's reasonable to assume that they are far
>superior than those Lewis and Clark utilized. However, as Ginny pointed out
>there are a few that contain errors, sometimes significant. Therefore you
>would do well to use common sense, especially when >navigating with some of
>the TI Maps.

If you add the BLM and USFS (and the PA State Game Commission) to that last
statement, I'll agree with you.

Walk carefully with those inaccurate maps,
Jim