[cdt-l] Re: [at-l] REI

At 10:22 PM 2/3/01 -0500, David Hicks blasted the following out into the ether:
><snip>
>I guess the bottom line is that folk like us push them toward catering to
>people who want to be PERCEIVED as outdoors-types, when we Tukerize, hype
>homemade alcohol stoves, buy or sew G4s, bad mouth all the unnecessary gear,
>etc.

      Sounds reasonable to me.  I once asked a fellow at a tobacconists'
shop why I couldn't just build a certain pipe.  Boy, was he offended!  Just
about kicked me out of the shop!  But a similar idea.

>There was a time that my annual REI dividend was larger than what I spend
>there now.  I've changed, they've changed, and we are not going in the same
>direction.

      Same here, and it's sad.  REALLY sad.  I got a dividend of over $1000
about 5 years ago, and now I rarely shop there any more.  Of course, some
of this is due to some changes in my life, but still...

      On a related subject, my old Reichle Montagna's sure seem to be nice
boots.  this was the "specially for REI" model a few years ago.  I need to
get some minor repairs done on them, but keep putting it off.  Will
probably have to get them to Rocky Mountain Resole soon.

      Earl

Earl Needham, KD5XB    mailto:KD5XB@AMSAT.ORG
Clovis, New Mexico         DM84jk N34d 25.446m W103d 12.700m (or so)

Pet peeve: breath is a noun,  breathe is a verb (When you take a breath,
you breathe...)