[cdt-l] Timber sale on the CDT

A good portion of the CDT burned from just south of
west pintler peak to lost trail pass. The CDT
generally follows the divide in this area.  The divide
here also makes up the boundry of the Anaconda-Pintler
wilderness & the Bitterroot NF.  I believe the
Anaconda-Pintler is under the jurisdiction of the
Beaverhead NF, but the trail is right on the boundry
in the burn area.

I don't know where the "salvage" would be done, but
theoretically, it could be right up to (and in places,
over) the CDT.  When I passed through the Mt. Zirkel
Wilderness this summer, they were doing a salvage
operation with helicopters... I'm not sure if it was
technically "in" the Wilderness area or not, but it
was at least right on the border of it.  They had
closed a number of trails in that area due to the
danger.  Those trees had fallen from a giant wind
storm a few years back.

I hiked through ~20-30 miles of burn in the south
Anaconda-Pintler (and beyond).  I found it striking
and beautiful.  It's a pity that some people only see
the monetary value of land.  There ARE other values
more important than money (MOST values, I'd argue).
Does anyone know if there is somewhere we can write or
call to delay, minimize or prevent this activity? (I
have to re-read the original article)

-Jonathan

PS: just got back to Chicago... finally able to look
at my maps, notes, etc.