[cdt-l] re: guides

Hi Larry,

As far as a "data book" there is nothing like the ones
published for the PCT and AT. Of course that may
change once there is a definitive trail/route. Until
then hikers have to rely on the info available.

There are some loose planning sets other hikers have
put together too. The one Jim and Ginny compiled
(sorry I don't have the link, but it's in the
archives) is probably one of the most recent.

Regarding the guides: I used the old Falcon guide for
Montana. It had some useful info in places, but was
literally chocked full of errors. I'm not sure if it's
still available.

For CO I used Tom Jones guide by Westcliffe. It was
good except for a couple places that were way off. As
far as I know there are no plans to revise or update
this guide. It was published in 1997 and is still
available. Directions are N to S.

I did not use Wolf's (CDTS) guides, though one of my
hiking partners did. (At times it was nice to have all
the different info to compare routes etc.) Based on
the info I had at the time I figured good maps were
better than outdated guidebooks. That still holds
true, but Jim does publish updates and other info in
Dividends.

Allan Stibora, who I met scouting routes for Jim Wolf
in N. NM, was a wealth of info with CDTS proposed
routes through the Tierra Amarilla. He's on the list
and knows a lot about the trail and water sources
through NM.

I recently received the new NM guide by Bob Julyan.
After a cursory review, it looks adequate considering
all the gaps in the actual tread through the state.
There are places where you'll need to seek out other
route info, namely the Tierra Amarilla. Jim Wolf
publishes a N. NM guide that should help in that
department. Does anyone know if CDTS has a Southern NM
guide out yet?

Another good source of trail info for Southern NM is
Joseph Gendron. He's on the list too. I started the
trail in 98 with Joseph and Bob Julyan. The southern
route depicted in Bob's book through the bootheel is
the route I followed with them. However I did not go
over to the base of the Little Hatchets. Instead I
followed a more direct route from the N. side of the
Big Hatchets into Hachita.

I'm not sure how you'd get to the start of that route
since I heard that Pat Harris, proprietor of the Egg
Nest passed away last year. Also, the current access
road is marginal unless you have a jeep or 4x4. Until
the BLM relocates the road, and there are plans to do
so, Tierra Comun will be a more difficult yet
rewarding place to begin or end your journey.

Hope this helps,

David