[cdt-l] cdt attractiveness vis. "aura" depth/breadth

> From: Slyatpct@aol.com
> Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 14:29:05 EDT

> Although I lost his post to cyberspace, Sloetoe mentioned awhile back
> that he thought more people would hike the CDT, if it was a clearly
> marked route.  <snip>
> The fact that the trail's NOT totally finished or clearly marked in
> spots is what I find the most intriguing. ... I don't believe I'd
> feel the same if the CDT were a continuously marked footpath.

### Yeah, well, I lost that post, too. But I recall it well enough to say
that no, I wouldn't think the CDT would find more people hiking it
(compared to the AT or PCT) if it were a clearly (or continuously marked)
footpath. Not recalling my specific words, my recollection of the
message's point was that if CDT had the same *history* in its development
-- private idea, voluntarily organized and executed over 1.5[?] decades,
involving numerous purely voluntary landowner permissions, and including
thereby the local sociological/economical/etc flavors that the PCT and CDT
lack -- that that history, and the resulting organizations, books, videos,
"throughhikers' guides" and such -- all of that contributes to why people
hike the AT. As well, it also contributes to why people *don't* hike the
PCT or CDT in relative proportion.
### That said, once you *know* about the CDT (for example), and can find
out about a cdt-l (for example), I agree entirely with you, Sly:
> "The fact that the trail's NOT totally finished or clearly marked in
> spots is what I find the most intriguing. ... I don't believe I'd
> feel the same if the CDT were a continuously marked footpath."

I'm sure I wrote less the first time. (Ugh!) Hope I didn't confuse the
issue (more) this time.
Sloetoe

=====
There is little use for the being whose tepid soul knows nothing of the great and generous emotions of the high pride, the stern belief, the lofty enthusiasm, of the men who quell the storm and ride the thunder.

T.Roosevelt 4/23/10