Re: [CDT-L] Trail info

Allan,

The route between Pie Town and Grants has some limitations. First the BLM
official I spoke with said he was instructed to route the CDT away from
man-made structures including windmills and water tanks. In my oppinion the
earth stock tanks are unsuitable for human consumption. Therefore the short
section of "official" trail that traverses the cinder cones west of El
Malpais isn't necessarily the best route option despite the fact it is
signed with posts and cairns. In 98 my goal was to avoid roads and I found
the x-c walking easy along the western edge of the Malpais. Water wasn't an
issue since there are some ranches in the area and there are developed water
sources on public land.  Eventually one can rejoin the Chain of Craters road
before reaching the highway and proceed north towards Oso Ridge LO (well
worth the 0.5 mile diversion).

Thanks again for your scouting and logistical efforts.

David Patterson