[CDT-L] To change the subject --- to Montana

Did any of you see the article (or hear about it) in the Washington Post
yesterday  (Friday) about the fact that The US Fish and Wildlife Service
plans to reintroduce grizzlies to the Centennials?  The plan is to start
with 25 in 2002, with the hope of eventually attaining a population of about
280 bears (in about 50 or 100 years.)

What do you all think?

One thought I had is that they would have to stop the grazing that is going
on there now as the cattle would be too vulnerable and there isn't a lot for
the bears to eat otherwise.  We saw elk and deer there, but no berries --
just sage. Since bears usually eat a lot of vegetation (roots, bulbs etc.)
their diet would be a bit lopsided.  Of course, there are fish in the lakes
-- and lots of fishermen too. The local officials oppose it - including the
Governor of Idaho, so it may not happen.

Ginny