Re: [CDT-L] New Lister

Mike -
I'll make this short - but not necessarily sweet.

Now - specifics.
1. We don't need to "rationalize" what we've done - we don't have anything
to prove to anyone - not even you.  Even if you've done what we've done you
have no business assuming that that's what we're doing.  Nor would you, even
then, have the right, responsibility, authority, experience or intellect to
judge our "credibility".
2. Betsy asked for information about the CDT - Ginny gave her information.
And expressed some opinions.  If you have reason to believe that the
information is erroneous then say so - but be specific.  The intent of the
information is for Betsy alone to judge - not you. We don't tell others how
or where or when to hike.  But when (if) we answer their questions, we DO
tell them what we know - straight up and on the rocks, no sugar coating, no
glossing over anything.  If you can't handle that then that's your problem -
not mine.  So deal with it.  As for the opinions - they're based on a
thruhike as well as nearly 4 years of research. You're welcome to your
opinion - you're NOT welcome to insult my wife or her credibility under any
circumstances.
3. "Purists" come in 2 varieties.  Those who NEVER mention the word but live
it and those who proselytize "purism" and  may or may not live it.  Many of
the former are good friends of ours and have supported us through two
thruhikes in the last two years.  Few of the latter can stand to be around
me.  I recently ran across a quote in an entirely different context (not
hiking) - "Purists seem to love nothing quite so much as their own concept
of purity".  In my experience that applies very neatly to the latter
variety.
4. If you want to talk about "purism" on the AT or PCT I'll be happy to
discuss it with you, but I'd suggest that you take the discussion to at-l or
pct-l.  Or maybe go back to atml. But you haven't done your homework with
respect to the CDT.
5. Purism is nonsense when applied to a trail that isn't even designated,
let alone built/on the ground yet.  In northern NM, for the first 350 miles,
there were 25 (count'em -- 25) miles of marked trail.  Purism???  --- is BS.
6. Purism is irrelevant on a trail where being lost, misplaced or otherwise
"off-trail" is a common, if not daily, occurrence.
7. Purism is absurd when misinformation, lack of information or outright
ignorance are the normal modes of operation of those who are charged with
building, maintaining or managing the trail.  As one small example, we tried
for 3 years to get information about the trail through southern NM  to
Antelope Wells. We were stonewalled by the Forest Service, BLM and the
"volunteer trail builder".
8. Purism is DANGEROUS on a trail where exposure to rain, wind, lightning
and snow storms at high altitude on exposed ridges is a more than common
occurrence. Try coming across Poison Ridge when you're surrounded by thunder
and lightning storms - or through the South San Juans with 40-50 mph
crosswinds - or maybe through foot-deep snow in a blizzard at 12000 ft in
northern Colorado. Purism can be utter stupidity in those situations.
9. Your point NEEDS to be "clouded with Malpais south of Grants" among many
other things - because your point specifically ignores reality.
10. All that being said, I'll repeat myself for the ten thousandth time - on
the AT, most (but NOT ALL) people will have a more satisfactory hike if they
follow the white blazes (within reason).  But there are no white blazes on
the CDT.  On the PCT, the guidebook specifies - and very often recommends -
"alternate routes" and "most" people take one or more of those routes.
Define purism.  On the CDT, the "official guidebook" for Colorado defines
one and only one route. Some of that route has yet to be built, some of it
is downright dangerous in bad weather, some of it is longer, with greater
elevation gain, for greatly diminished rewards, some of it you'd get to
share with mountain bikes, ATV's, jeeps and motorcycles - in other words
some of it isn't worth doing.  Jim Wolf's guidebooks present alternate
routes that are almost universally harder, much more scenic and eminently
worthwhile.

Enough - purity is at least theoretically acceptable on the AT, and possibly
on the PCT.  But on the CDT it has no place except in the minds of those who
haven't done it.  It's irrelevant.  Only 2 things  are relevant  - "What do
YOU want to do?" and "Is that possible, given your capabilities and the
circumstances at the time you're actually hiking?".  Betsy needs to answer
the first question based on what ever information she can get before she
starts hiking.  The second question will ONLY be answerable when she's
actually on the trail.

Walk softly,
Jim

PS - It's NOT necessary to include the entire thread in your reply.